If you are ready to make some changes and live a healthier lifestyle, a great way to get started is to take the Primal Blueprint 21 Day Challenge. During the three week period you will reprogram your genes to burn more fat and enjoy the benefits of a diet rich in the nutrients that your body needs. And, you will begin to exercise with natural total-body movements that help you develop and maintain lean muscle mass, increase metabolism, increase bone density, prevent injuries, and enjoy balanced hormone and blood glucose levels.
Probably the greatest benefit from taking the challenge is that you will learn that you can control your health. People who participate in the challenge will experience, more energy throughout day, greater satiety, improved sleep patterns, healthier blood pressure, normalized blood sugar, improved blood markers (if you have the opportunity to measure them), your body composition will begin to improve.
The challenge is a great way to “jump start” healthy lifestyle changes. For many, the change is transformational within days.
You may be thinking, “Oh I’ve tried something like this before but I it didn’t work”, or “I didn’t feel good”, or “I couldn’t stick with it”. What makes the Primal Blueprint different is that it is not a fad, it is eating and moving the way God created us, so our bodies will embrace it and enjoy it. Also, there is a tremendous amount of scientific evidence supporting this as the healthiest and most sustainable approach. Hundreds of thousands of people have been successful and have found that it doesn’t require suffering and sacrifice just a few fundamental changes to the way we approach food, exercise, and life can transform our health and wellness for the rest of our lives.
Why 21 days? That is the time it takes for most people to fully adapt to the changes and for new habit to form.
So let’s get to the Challenge. Do it for just 21 days and the results will speak for themselves. There is supporting information and infographics below.
- Eat real food (food with one ingredient, not processed).
- Avoid sugar, grains, unhealthy fats, beans/legumes.
- Align your carb intake with your weight goals and activity levels. (See chart below: 50-100 g/day for weight loss, 100-150 for weight management)
- Move frequently at a slow pace: Get between 2-5 hours per week of moderate aerobic exercise.
- Lift heavy things: Conduct 1-3 brief, intense sessions of full-body functional movements.
- Sprint: Go “all out” once a week.
- Get 8 hours of sleep every night.
- Get 15 minutes of direct sun exposure each day.
- Play! Find time to let go, disconnect, unwind and have fun each day.
Here is an infographic showing What To Eat.
To download a copy click here. Please it on your refrigerator.
Adjust macronutrients: (Use one of the many free mobile phone apps such as My Fitness Pal to help with this.)
- Protein: Average .7 – 1 gram per pound of lean body mass/day – depending on activity levels (more at times is fine).
- Carbs: 50-100 grams/day (or less) = accelerated fat loss. 100-150 grams/day = effortless weight maintenance. (See the Carb Curve below.) Heavy exercisers can increase carb intake as needed to replace glycogen stores.
- Fat: Enjoy freely but sensibly for balance of caloric needs and high dietary satisfaction levels.
Do these functional exercises or movements that are similar.
The exercise patterns above are optimum; however, if you are older or have movement restrictions then simply walk or swim. Do some similar movements using your body weight as resistance. Get some help if you need it from a professional, but do something to stay active everyday.
I just unloaded a lot of information on you. I apologize for that, but its important. Take the challenge. My next post will be about what you do after the challenge.
Live Healthy!! ?